A tourist visa can be issued for the maximum period of 30 days and is either single-entry or double-entry.
In order to submit visa documents to the Consulate an applicant must have an electronic appointment.
- A tourist voucher or a confirmation of admission of a foreign tourist. It is a document that confirms the applicant is travelling as a tourist and contains: a reference number of the travel agency, passport information of the applicant, information regarding the place of stay, an itinerary and dates of entry and exit.
- A completed online, printed and signed application form (the “Consulate General of Russia” must be selected as the destination for submitting visa documents).
- A passport with at least two empty pages. The passport should expire no sooner than six months after the exit day of the intended stay in Russia.
- A copy of the information page of the passport with personal information and the applicant’s photo).
- A colored photo of the applicant with a white background (35 mm x 45 mm) taken within the last six months (without glasses and head covering, unless it is used because of religious beliefs or ethnic background).
- For non-Canadian citizens – a copy of a document that confirms their status or residency in Canada (permanent resident card or work and study permits).
- Citizens of the EU (schengen area) and China are also required to provide a copy of a travel insurance policy that is valid during their entire stay in Russia.
- Payment. A money-order made out to “Consulate General of Russia”. The Consulate does not accept cash, credit cards and etc. as valid forms of payment.
Visa fees for citizens of Canada (and countries that do not have bilateral visa agreements with the Russian Federation):
express (1-3 days)
Regular (4-20 days)
Please note that a tourist voucher can be easily purchased online from official Russian travel companies or from local tour agencies.
US citizens can also request for a 3 year multiple-entry tourist visa. The processing time for a tourist visa for US citizens is 15 days. This period can be increased for additional processing or shortened to 3 business days in emergency cases.
Citizens of Japan can also request a 6 month multiple-entry visa.
A multiple-entry visa allows foreign nationals to visit Russia several times during the validity of the visa. However, the amount of days spent in the Russian Federation adds up and this sum must not be greater than 90 days during each period of 180 days of the validity of the visa. This means that a foreign citizen, who has already spent 90 days in Russia, can again visit the Russian Federation once the 180 day period (starting from the first day of entry in this period) has ended.
Foreign citizens can also obtain a tourist visa for short-term business meetings, conferences, auctions, as well as for medical consultations and examinations in Russia. In this case “aim-tourism” must be indicated as the purpose of visit in the voucher or the confirmation of admission of a foreign tourist and the visa is issued for the specific days (no more than 30 days).