A transit visa can be either single-entry or double entry and allows foreign nationals to stay up to 72 hours on the territory of the Russian Federation while transiting by means of an airplane or 10 days by car when transiting to or from other countries.
Please note that if a foreign national is transiting through Russia (the stay is less than 24 hours) and does not leave the international zone of an airport – they do not need a transit visa.
Moreover, passengers of cruise ships that are docked in Russian ports in Saint-Petersburg, Vladivostok, Vyborg, Kaliningrad, Korsakov, Novorossiysk, Sevastopol and Sochi for no more than 72 hours can stay in Russia without a visa, provided that they live aboard the cruise ship or another place, designated in the tour program.
In order to submit visa documents to the Consulate an applicant must have an electronic appointment.
- A copy of purchased airline tickets (with the travel itinerary, flight information and dates of departure and arrival).
- A valid visa (if applicable) for the country the applicant intends to visit.
- A completed online, printed and signed application form (the “Consulate General of Russia” must be selected as the destination for submitting visa documents).
- A passport with at least two empty pages. The passport should expire no sooner than six months after the exit day of the transit stay in Russia.
- A copy of the information page of the passport with personal information and the applicant’s photo).
- A colored photo of the applicant with a white background (35 mm x 45 mm) taken within the last six months (without glasses and head covering, unless it is used because of religious beliefs or ethnic background).
- For non-Canadian citizens – a copy of a document that confirms their status or residency in Canada (permanent resident card or work and study permits).
- Citizens of the EU (schengen area) and China are also required to provide a copy of a travel insurance policy that is valid during the entire trip.
- Payment. A money-order made out to “Consulate General of Russia”. The Consulate does not accept cash, credit cards and etc. as valid forms of payment.
Visa fees for citizens of Canada (and countries that do not have bilateral visa agreements with the Russian Federation):
express (1-3 days)
Regular (4-20 days)